Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a passport?

If arriving from another country, yes a passport is necessary.

How do I get to Newfoundland?

You have two choices on entering the province, you can come by ferry from North Sydney, Nova Scotia, or by air into Gander, Newfoundland. Any clients traveling by the North Sydney, N.S. ferry to Port Aux Basques, NL will have to make reservations well in advance of your trip. If you are to check into the Lodge on Sunday afternoon, it is recommended that you choose the 11 o’clock crossing on a Saturday evening and book a cabin, so you will be well rested when the Ferry docks.

Where is Pepper Mountain Lodge located in Newfoundland?

If arriving to Chanel Port aux Basque by ferry, you will be approximately five and half hours driving time from GrandFalls/Windsor which is located in Central Newfoundland. Someone from the Lodge would meet you there and transport you to the Lodge, approximately one hour and a half drive. If arriving by air, your best arrival point is Gander Airport, which would be approximately one hour driving time from GrandFalls/Windsor. Depending on your arrival time, if may be necessary for you to overnight in one of the hotels close to the Airport. You would be pickup by one of our staff the following morning and transported to the Lodge approximately two and half hours driving time.

Can I drive my vehicle to the lodge?

Yes, there are a couple of ways to reach the Lodge. For several reasons, a truck would be the best vehicle of choice.

What can I expect for weather during my stay?

The weather in Newfoundland is very unpredictable. Early September could bring you temperatures in the range of 85F degrees during the day. As the weather changes in the fall, you could see anything from rain to fog to sunshine and back to rain in a matter of a few hours in any given day. By October you could be into lower temperatures of 30-35F degrees night time with a high of 40 – 50F during the day. By the end of October there is a strong possibility of periods of snowfall. Regardless of your hunting dates, be prepared for a mixture of temperatures and weather.

What if I should need hospitalization or medical services?

Visitors to Canada are strongly urged to obtain health insurance before leaving their home country. Canadian hospital and medical services are excellent but an extended hospital stay can be costly. It is a good idea to bring along a copy of your prescriptions in case you need to have them refilled while in Canada.

Should I declare my laptop, cameras, gps..etc at the border crossing?

Non-residents entering Canada should fill out form 4457 Entitled Identification of Articles for Temporary Exportation. This form should be filled in with serial numbers of valuable items, which will be returning home with you. This form should also include the serial numbers of your firearms.

What do I need to know about bringing firearms into Canada?

To bring firearms for the purpose of hunting into Canada, non-residents must fill out a form including information about the firearms being transported. The form can be filled out in triplicate in advance but the signature must only be done in the presence of the Canadian Customs Officer. The form to import up to three firearms is RCMP 5589/CAFC 909. The extension to this form if you are declaring more that three firearms is RCMP 5590/CAFC 910. There is a fee of approximately $25.00 CDN for this service to be paid at the border crossing.

Will there be a problem bringing my meat back across the border?

No. There is a provision that allows the transportation of wild meat across the border. A copy of your hunting license is an important form of documentation. Also a Meat Export Permit is supplied by the outfitter which will allow you to transport your meat outside of Newfoundland.

Can I donate my meat if I don't want to bring it home?

Yes, you have several options on donating of meat within the province of Newfoundland Labrador. Your outfitter will be able to assist you with that.

What caliber of firearm should I bring?

You have many choices when it comes to choosing your firearm. Popular choices are a 270, 308, 30-06, 7 mm, 300 mag. These rifles should be sited in with a 180 grain ammo.

Can I enter Canada if I have a DUI?

Yes, if you make prior arrangements before reaching the border crossing. Lucy Perillo is a professional of dealing with these types of issues.

Will I need cash on my trip?

Yes you will need cash to pay for meat processing and any gratuities you wish to leave for our staff. It is possible to get advances from your credit card, but you must first advise your credit card company that you will be outside of your home country.

Are there references available?

Yes but on request only and their phone numbers will not be listed anywhere on our website for privacy reasons.

Does the government still offer rebate on tax portion of the hunt?

Yes they do. It amounts to 50% of the 13% tax portion.

Is there any fishing season open during the fall hunting season?

The fishing season closes early September.

What happens to our meat after the moose is harvested?

The moose is immediately retrieved from where it was harvested and transported back to main Lodge for skinning and quartering. If the meat is to be cut by the butcher, it is transported to his facility where it is processed. The normal procedure is to debone, cut, vacuum seal, and freeze for your return trip home. If you decide that you want to ship your meat with the trucking company, it can be arranged to be picked up from the processor and held until delivery sometime in December. Both the meat processing and trucking are a cost that is not included in the price of your hunt and it is your responsibility to negotiate terms with them. If you will be transporting the meat back home with you, it can be held at the processors until you get ready to leave. You have several options available for transporting frozen meat on your journey home. We can discuss them and help you decide which will work best for you.

What is your cancellation policy?

Occasionally unforeseen circumstances do happen and we do our best to work with our clients and work out changes that is in their best interest. We have a no refund policy in place but dates substitution or deposit transfer to another hunter is acceptable.